Personal Information Handling Practices
We usually collect personal information about individuals directly from those individuals or their authorised representatives.
We sometimes collect personal information from a third party or from a publicly available source, but only if:
- the individual has consented to such collection or would reasonably expect us to collect their personal information in this way, or
- if it is necessary for a specific purpose such as the investigation of a privacy complaint.
We only collect personal information for purposes which are directly related to our functions or activities and only when it is necessary for or directly related to such purposes.
Use and disclosure
We only use personal information for the purposes for which we collected it – purposes which are directly related to one of our functions or activities.
We do not give personal information about an individual to other Government agencies, private sector organisations or anyone else unless one of the following applies:
- the individual has consented
- the individual would reasonably expect, or has been told, that information of that kind is usually passed to those individuals, bodies or agencies
- it is otherwise required or authorised by law
- it will prevent or lessen a serious and imminent threat to somebody’s life or health, or
- it is reasonably necessary for the enforcement of the criminal law or of a law imposing a pecuniary penalty, or for the protection of public revenue.
We take steps to protect the personal information we hold against loss, unauthorised access, use, modification or disclosure, and against other misuse.
When the personal information that we collect is no longer required, we destroy or delete it in a secure manner.
You can access the personal information that we hold about you, and you can ask us to correct the personal information we hold about you.
If you are listed on one or more of our media or network email lists you can opt out at any time. You can unsubscribe by using the ‘unsubscribe’ options noted in our emails.
Individuals can obtain further information about how to request access or changes to the information we hold about them by contacting us (see details below).
How to contact us